Sunday, June 7, 2009

Go Up the House of the LORD

"I was glad when they said to me, 'Let us go to the house of the LORD!"  Psalm 122

I was thinking this morning about how much I love going to church. I realized that it was something I had often taken for granted in the past. Lately however, I had been more aware of the joy, peace and comfort I find just sitting in the pews, surrounded by....what?

Wow, I just realized what all I am surrounded by.  Friends and strangers, people passing through, and people who have been here their whole lives.  All sharing the Blessed Sacrament on equal footing.  Rich and poor, from all backgrounds, nationalities, and races, kneeling side by side before the King of Kings.

I am surrounded by the saints that have gone before.  I see St. Anthony, St Joseph, and stain glass images of the Apostles. I am wearing my medals of St. Pio, and the Miraculous Medal which reminds me St. Faustina.  My brown scapula brings to mind the great Carmelite saints.  I realize that through the power of the Holy Spirit, we are all gathered together before the throne of God.

Of course I see the statues of the Holy Family.  My Blessed Mother is there, beckoning me to come to her Son and receive all that there is to receive. The love, grace, forgiveness, healing, and the redemption of my soul are all present and available to me.

The Most Holy Trinity is here.  The presence is real, alive and vibrant.  I am actually in the presence, body and blood, soul and divinity of my Precious Savior.

I realize that going to church is like receiving a great big hug from God himself. In fact, that is exactly what it is.




Blogged with the Flock Browser

2 comments:

  1. I like this post because it reminded me of when I first realized I have this great big family. We have these that have gone before us too. It is true we are one body in Christ. Thank you for bringing the thought of that multitude back to my mind and soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the visit and nice comment. One of the reason I love twitter is it has allowed me to meet so many more of my wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ such as yourself. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete